Let’s face it: no matter how many times you clean your toilet, sometimes a stubborn stain will remain intact. From scrubbing excessively to flushing repeatedly, some stains like to stick around longer than you’d want. Before you rip your toilet out of the ground, here’s a great, fun way to remove that stain with ease:
Visit the Grocery Store
Known to be a common commodity within every home (specifically in the summertime) is a little drink mix called Kool-Aid. Believe it or not, the timeless beverage is known to not only taste great, but it’s also an incredible cleaning agent. Before you pick up any ol’ flavor, it’s best to just use a packet of lemonade-flavored Kool-Aid. Why?
Let us explain!
Why this Packet Works
The reason why lemonade Kool-Aid works best (for cleaning stubborn stains) is due to the citric acid that’s within the drink mix. Unlike traditional chemical cleaners, this will be the perfect alternative to cleaning those stubborn stains, since Kool-Aid clearly doesn’t contain those harsh cleaning agents!
How to Remove the Stain
Once you have purchased your single packet of lemonade Kool-Aid, here are the critical (but simple) steps to follow to clean your toilet:
- Before you let the Kool-Aid do its magic, it’s essential to have a good toilet brush on hand. This will be the perfect tool for scrubbing the stains, once the drink mix is applied.
- To start, cut open the top half of your Kool-Aid packet and begin to sprinkle it around the inner rim of your toilet.
- When sprinkling the Kool-Aid, make sure that it’s evenly distributed -- since it has the potential to clump up!
- Once you have emptied the entire packet, it’s time to start scrubbing! Just like you’d do when you regularly clean your toilet, scrub any stains in a circular motion. This will work the Kool-Aid in and will let it do its magic.
- After the scrubbing is done, you can either let the Kool-Aid cleaner sit overnight, or you can flush the toilet on the spot; it’s up to you!
- Finally, once you flush the toilet, not only will the Kool-Aid disappear, but so will the stain. You’ll be amazed at how useful this simple, fun trick is!
If you have any problems with your home plumbing, heating or cooling, and you prefer to forgo the DIY route, our technicians are here to help! Visit our website to learn more about the services that we offer here at Pipe Wrench Plumbing, Heating & Cooling — or you can call (865) 518-7008 to speak with a representative directly.